JR Biomedical Ltd is committed to promoting sustainability issues within the business. Concern for the environment and promoting a broader sustainability agenda are integral to our professional activities and the management of the organisation. We aim to follow and to promote good sustainability practice, to reduce the environmental impacts of all our activities and to help our clients/customers and partners to do the same.
Our Sustainability Policy is based upon the six following principles:
- To integrate sustainability considerations into all our business decisions
- To comply with and exceed where practicable all applicable legislation, regulations and codes of practice
- To ensure that all staff are fully aware of our Sustainability Policy and are committed to implementing and improving it
- To minimise the impact on sustainability of all office and transportation activities
- To make customers and suppliers aware of our Sustainability Policy, and encourage them to adopt sound sustainable management practices
- To formally review the Sustainability Policy quarterly and to continually strive to improve our sustainability performance
To put this into practice we;
- Have chosen to site our business in the OpTIC Technology Centre at Glyndŵr University. Designed with sustainability in mind, the building features cedar cladding, recycled waste slate, and a 1,000m2 photovoltaic wall, which harvests rainwater as well as generating electricity.
- Use the minimum amount of materials possible in packaging our products, and only use recycled cardboard whenever possible.
- Recycle the packaging of materials that we buy.
- Minimise our use of paper and other office consumables, for example by double-siding all paper used, and identifying opportunities to reduce waste.
- Arrange for the reuse or recycling of office waste, including paper, bottles and cans, computer supplies and redundant equipment.
- Reduce the energy consumption of office equipment by purchasing energy efficient equipment and good housekeeping.
- Switching off all lights, heating and electrical items overnight, during weekends and holidays.
- Consider the likely life of products and investing in more durable quality products that offer better long-term value.
- Avoid physically travelling to meetings etc where alternatives are available and practical, such as using teleconferencing, video conferencing or webcams.
- Where applicable, consider reducing the need for our staff to travel by supporting alternative working arrangements, including home working etc, and promote the use of public transport by locating our offices in an accessible location.
Dr John Rees
JR Biomedical Ltd